IVF Failed, What To Do For Success With A Second IVF Attempt
Failed IVF Treatment
In vitro fertilization or IVF is the process by which eggs are removed from your ovaries and mixed with sperm in a separate laboratory culture dish. The fertilisation process takes place “in vitro”, which means “in glass”.
The process has been helpful for many childless couples who wished to have a baby, and IVF was a sort of blessing for them. The process is not very inexpensive, we can say; those who could afford the cost of the procedure took a successful attempt. But some unsuccessful results were also reported. Even after an IVF attempt what followed was unsuccessful pregnancy. If IVF failed, what to do for success with a second IVF attempt? Let me share with you some pointers.
Causes of Failed IVF
Various reasons have been cited for failed IVF:
- Age of the female partner: As women age after thirties, fewer eggs are produced and the quality of the eggs declines. Poor embryo quality is also a reason when the embryos fail to implant and grow because they have chromosomal or genetic defects. The reason being older eggs which have poor embryo quality.
- Ovarian Response: The fertility medications result in production of multiple eggs, a critical factor for successful IVF. But women over 37 produce less eggs in reserve than expected. The poor response to the medication and abnormal FSH levels in the body causes IVF failure.
Chromosomal abnormality: A DNA damage or presence of any chromosome abnormalities in the embryos can cause IVF failure. Success in Second IVF
Failed IVF cycle can be devastating, emotionally and financially. That doesn’t mean it won’t succeed the next time. For successful couples it takes an average of 2.7 cycles to implant pregnancy. Success rates with IVF are better for younger women, but even then, several cycles may be required.
- The records of your estrous cycle needs to be eyed very carefully before the next visit to your doctor. This includes vigilance over the results of the ovarian stimulation, any issues with egg quality or quantity, development of the embryo, or transfer of the embryos to the uterus. Thedrugs prescribed for the stimulation process might be changed.
- If the female partner is above 37 years, apreimplantation genetic screening (PGS) is recommended to screen the embryos prior to next IVF cycle, before implantation. The procedure involves biopsy from the embryo and testing the chromosome number of the cells. The specialist can easily choose healthy embryos without the genetic problems which could have inhibited theirgrowth.
- The SpermComet test identifies the extent of DNA damage in every sperm. A Pre-implantation Genetic Screening (PGS) helps to find out embryos having normal chromosome numbers in order to raise the chances of successful pregnancy.
IVF has been a successful way to implant in vitro fertilized embryo leading to pregnancy. With some of the trustworthy IVF fertility clinics in Delhi, like International Fertility Centre, the IVF procedure is now known to many childless couples. It can surely bring happiness in their lives.